Painting tropical flower nail art designs on your manicure or pedicure may be easier than you think. While getting my own manicure and pedicure done before vacation, I paid close attention to the flower nail art that the nail technician painted on my ring finger. I observed the technique and committed it to memory until I could try it for myself. To my surprise and delight, painting my own tropical flower nail designs was easier than I expected, and the designs came out great on the first try!
Many kinds of beautiful, brightly colored tropical flowers will look great on your nails. Consider bird of paradise nails, hibiscus nails, and bromeliad nail designs. You can also make abstract tropical flower nail art rather than focusing on a particular type of tropical flower.
Tropical Flower Nail Art Materials
If you would like to paint your own tropical flower nail art designs, first gather the following materials:
– Nail polish for background color (or French manicure kit)
– Bright colors for tropical flowers
– Nail art brush or other thin paintbrush
– Striper, very thin nail art brush, or toothpick
– Clear topcoat
– Nail art rhinestones, pearls, or other accents
– Nail polish remover
– Cotton balls
– Paper towels or newspaper
Once you have all the materials, be sure to prepare your work space so you can get started. Next, decide which type of tropical flower nail design you would like to paint.
DIY Hibiscus Nail Art Designs
To paint your own tropical hibiscus nail art designs on your fingernails or toenails, follow these steps:
1. Paint the desired background color on your nails. Remember to use contrast, so if you want a dark or bold hibiscus flower, paint a light background and vice versa.
2. Choose two colors for your hibiscus nail art.
3. Once nails are dry, use the nail polish brush to drip a few drops of the first color onto the newspaper or paper towel surface. Do the same for the second color.
4. Dip one corner of the nail art brush in the first color. Turn the brush over and dip the other corner in the second color. Your nail art brush should have two colors neatly on the bristles.
5. Starting from one edge of the nail, paint a small squiggle as the first petal.
6. Repeat two or three more times to form the rest of the hibiscus flower.
7. Use the striper, thin brush, or toothpick to paint the center of the flower. It should be a thin line coming from the middle of the flower you just painted.
8. Using the tip of a toothpick or striper and a different color of nail polish like yellow or white, paint tiny dots at the end of the line.
9. Once the nails are dry, preserve the tropical flower designs with a clear topcoat.
DIY Bird of Paradise Nail Art Designs
To paint your own tropical bird of paradise nail art designs on your fingernails or toenails, follow these steps:
1. Paint the desired background color on your nails. A light color will probably look best.
2. Paint a green stem diagonally from the tip of the nail using a toothpick or very thin striper nail art brush.
3. Using red or dark pink, paint a mostly horizontal pointed line for part of the tropical flower.
4. Using orange nail polish, paint an upward pointed petal, followed by two or three more.
5. Using a very thin implement, paint a few blue accents, including one upward and one outward feather-type petal and also a tiny bit of edging along the stem of the bird of paradise flower.
6. Once the bird of paradise flower nail design is dry, apply a clear topcoat to seal and protect your designs.
DIY Bromeliad Nail Art Designs
Bromeliad nail designs can be relatively easy to paint. To create your own tropical bromeliad nail art designs on your fingernails or toenails, follow these steps:
1. Paint your desired background color. A light colored nail polish will probably work best.
2. Using red or dark pink nail polish and a nail art pen or toothpick, paint several different petals going outward and upward – resembling the top of a pineapple.
3. Using green nail polish, paint the stem and a few outward leaves in the same manner as above.
4. Seal the designs with a clear topcoat once dry.
These are just three different types of tropical flower nail designs you can paint at home. To create dozens of other designs, vary the color choices and add tiny nail accessories like pearls, rhinestones, and glitter topcoats for added effect.
If you have other suggestions, please share them below in our comments. If you would like to receive some free Fimo nail art pieces, send us a picture of a tropical flower manicure that you created yourself. The first 50 entries we receive will get their own mini sample set of fimo nail art slices to try at home!