Veggie pizza recipes can be a lot of fun to create at home with your family, friends, or significant other. You can make easy veggie pizzas using premade, refrigerated pizza dough or you can create your own pizza from scratch using veggie pizza recipes that you find online or receive from someone you know. Most of the time it is fun to make your own veggie pizzas from scratch if you have the time and inclination. Here are some veggie pizza recipes, ideas, and tips to try at home.
First things first – the defining factors in just about any pizza are usually the dough and the sauce. You can get creative adding ingredients and cheeses to your heart’s content, but without a good base of pizza dough and sauce, you aren’t really going anywhere with your vegetarian pizza or vegetable pie. I am a firm believer that handmade dough makes the best pizza or Stromboli. In fact, I use the same dough recipe for my Stromboli as I do for my pizzas, when I have time. (If you simply don’t have time, you can find premade refrigerated pizza dough from Pillsbury and similar brands.)
Homemade Veggie Pizza Recipes from Scratch
Use these steps to create your own veggie pizza at home!
1. First make the dough. I use this recipe from Fabulous Foods for my pizza and Stromboli. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes and set aside to rise.
2. I also make my own sauce from scratch (well, sort of), using my best friend’s dad’s recipe. Here it is:
Enhance your favorite jar sauce with these steps.
Put some olive oil on the bottom of a saucepan and warm to medium low. Mince or slice garlic to your liking and sauté lightly in oil until golden. Pour red jar sauce into pot and stir well. Bring to low boil. Add some sherry or Marsala cooking wine. Bring to low boil again. Add parsley, oregano, and fresh ground pepper to taste. Keep at a low boil until the sauce reduces and thickens. Set aside. (I do this all without measurements, but you will get the hang of it and find how it works best for your tastes.)
3. After the dough has risen, roll it out to make a pizza in your favorite shape – round, rectangular, heart – whatever you like.
4. Use a ladle to add as much sauce as you like.
5. Sprinkle cheese on top using mozzarella, or a blend including provolone, parmesan, or whatever you like.
6. Add a variety of vegetables to complete your veggie pizza recipe.
Try any of the following:
7. Bake your pizza until dough is cooked all the way through and cheese is melted. I turn the oven to 375, but the timing depends on the size and thickness of your dough. The pizza dough should turn a little golden brown when it is about ready.
This is a simple veggie pizza to try at home. If you have other favorite veggie pizza recipes, share them or at least your favorite toppings in our comments below!