Easter is a time of year that brings to mind wonderful, delicious sweets and treats – coconut Easter eggs, jelly beans, candy as far as the eye can see, cupcakes, pastries, decadent cakes in the shape of bunnies, and so many other yummy and adorable Easter desserts. No matter if you are hosting Easter yourself or looking to make something you can bring with you to someone’s home for the holiday, consider these fun and adorable Easter dessert ideas you can make yourself!
Before you get started, make sure you have the necessary supplies. If you are planning a few days to a week or two in advance, that should give you sufficient time to order or purchase any ingredients or materials you need to create your very own delicious Easter desserts and treats.
Coconut Easter Bunny Cake
This popular favorite Easter dessert gets better and better every year. Your kids and younger relatives will absolutely love this adorable bunny shaped cake!
Box of cake mix (or your own recipe)
Can of vanilla frosting
Jelly beans for eyes and nose
Shoestring licorice for whiskers
Fruit Rollups for Ears
One marshmallow for cotton tail
(Makes 2 bunny cakes)
1. Bake a cake in two round pans.
2. Remove from pans and allow cake to cool on cooling racks.
3. Frost the top of one cake layer once cool.
4. Put the second cake layer on top of the one you just frosted, as if you are making a traditional round cake.
5. Cut the round cake in half and place each half on a plate, flat side down.
6. Frost the cake with vanilla frosting and immediately coat the entire half-cake with shredded coconut.
7. Using scissors or a steak knife over a cutting board, cut out two bunny ear shapes from the Fruit Rollups.
8. Attach the Fruit Rollup Ears with frosting to the side of the cake where the head will be. (Usually where the cake is arcing upward is a good place for the ears, just before it levels out.)
9. Add two of the same colored jelly beans for eyes and a pink or red one for a nose. Place them appropriately based on where your ears are located.
10. Add a big white marshmallow or a dab of frosting and more coconut for a tail.
11. Repeat steps 6 – 10 for the second bunny cake.
Tip: If you like, sprinkle jelly beans or other Easter candy around the platter where the bunny cake sits.
Alternative Shape for Bunny Cake: Easter Bunny Sheet Cake
If you like the idea of an Easter bunny cake but you don’t want to mess with the sideways positioning and cutting a cake in half and all that, you can make an Easter Bunny Sheet Cake instead. Make your cake as usual, and instead of frosting it all at once, keep one round cake intact and cut the other so that you have a bow-tie and two ears. Arrange the pieces of cake on a foiled board or platter and frost all pieces. Decorate with pink sugar crystals, jelly beans, and shoestring licorice for whiskers. This yummy bunny cake can be a delicious way to celebrate Easter!
Easter Basket Cupcakes
Sometimes cupcakes are easier for certain gatherings than a whole cake. If you prefer to make some adorable Easter basket cupcakes, try this fun and easy Easter dessert recipe.
Jelly beans, M&Ms or other Easter candy
Twizzlers or other licorice
1. Bake cupcakes in cupcake wrappers according to instructions on packaging.
2. Allow to cool and then frost each Easter basket cupcake as desired. You can use a cake decorating gun to make the frosting look like Easter basket grass that you put in the Easter baskets.
3. Gently poke both ends of the licorice vine into the cupcake to make it look like a basket.
4. Add jelly beans or M&Ms or any Easter candy you like to each Easter basket cupcake for decoration and additional sweetness.
Tip: Consider using different colors of frosting for a fun and varied look or all the same color so no one fights over the last pink one!
More Easter Desserts and Treats…