Labor Day weekend can be a great time to travel, throw a party, or go to someone else’s barbecue or picnic. If rain is on the way, you don’t have to scrap your plans. You can still find lots of enjoyable things to do in the rain or inside during a rainy Labor Day.
Inside Rainy Labor Day Activity Ideas
Here are some rainy Labor Day ideas for you to try if the weather isn’t cooperating for your barbecue, picnic, or party.
• Have a scavenger hunt inside.
• Set up some indoor karaoke.
• Do Labor Day crafts with the kids.
• Run a board game marathon.
• Have a movie marathon with only movies that are patriotic in nature.
• Mix up red, white, and blue cocktails (if you are old enough to drink).
• Make red, white, and blue slushies and smoothies (no matter what your age).
• Have a video game competition.
• Go shopping and hit up all the amazing Labor Day weekend sales.
• Break your group into two teams and have an indoor decathlon of events. You can do puzzles, games, and other indoor activities. Best of 10 – only one winner!
These Labor Day ideas if rain’s outside should help to tide you over until the weather clears. Hopefully it won’t rain for the entire Labor Day weekend!
Rainy Labor Day Meals
If the rain is pouring down, grilling might not be your favorite option. You can find a few alternatives to the traditional holiday weekend fare by considering a few rainy Labor Day food ideas. Check out these examples of non-grilled Labor Day food for starters:
• Meatballs and sauce in crock pots
• Roast beef or turkey sandwiches (hot)
• Baked ham with pineapple
• Stir-fried veggies
• Pork fried rice
• Sweet and sour chicken
• Baked ziti
• Take-out from your local pizza shop, Chinese food place, etc.
Don’t forget delicious Labor Day desserts – brownies or Rice Krispie Treats with red, white, and blue sprinkles, themed sugar cookies, all-American chocolate chip cookies, sheet cake with strawberries and blueberries, fruit salad, and more. What are your favorite patriotic desserts?
Rainy Labor Day Picnic Ideas
If you are going on a Labor Day picnic, you might want to plan to hang out inside. Consider finding a place with shelter for your picnic, like an outdoor party tent, or have a picnic for two in your car, clubhouse, or garage. A Labor Day picnic with many guests may need to move the entire event indoors, perhaps in a basement or garage if not throughout the whole house. If the rain tapers off a bit, you can have your rainy Labor Day events move out to your deck or patio, even if there is still a little drizzle coming down.
If you still want to have a picnic in the rain, consider putting down a few water resistant tarps or setting up an outdoor party tent. You can also try a large beach umbrella or consider tailgating instead of doing the full picnic routine. Since Labor Day is a long weekend, you might also consider having a “rain date” if you can plan it far enough in advance.
To make things more festive despite the gray and gloomy weather, don’t forget to set up your red, white, and blue decorations for an inside Labor Day party. You can also ignore the weather and play outside in the rain if you feel so inclined!
What’s your rainy Labor Day plan? If you have other suggestions for Labor Day rain ideas, please share them below in our comments.