Ask any parent and they’ll probably tell you that the first year flies by in a flash and you’re celebrating first birthdays in no time. We all mean to stop and smell the roses during that first year, but sometimes it goes by so fast we don’t even realize just how fast until that first year is almost gone. Sometimes a checklist or “To Do” list can be a great way to keep track of important things you want to do with your infant son or daughter before the first birthday arrives.
To help you ensure you capture some of those special moments or take advantage of some fun activities, we’ve compiled this list of things to do during your baby’s first year of life. Feel free to print this out, add this to your Pinterest page, or bookmark it for future use.
1. Take a picture every month with cute onesie stickers.
2. Make keepsake handprint and footprint artwork. They’ll only be this small for so long!
3. Get a photo with Santa Clause at the very least, and maybe with the Easter Bunny, too, if you like.
4. Get a family portrait done or be sure to take family photos around the holidays when everyone is dressed up.
5. Take a few videos of your little one doing something cute. You should also have your video camera or smartphone handy to shoot videos of first time crawling, first steps, laughter, singing, first words, and other important moments.
6. Write down the dates or rough estimates of when your baby met important milestones like laughing, smiling, crawling, sitting unsupported, and of course, first word, and first steps!
7. Make special time to visit grandparents and especially great grandparents. Capture as many generations as you can in a single photo. (And take lots of photos in general!)
These ideas are just some of the sentimental things you should do for memories and good times with your little one. Make sure you do all the day-to-day things as well, like singing, teaching ABC’s and 123’s, visiting friends for play dates, and playing together, among countless other important moments.
Do you have other special things to do in a baby’s first year of life? If so, please share your suggestions in our comments below!