Time keeps rushing by, no matter what we try to do to slow it down. Suddenly our infants become toddlers and then our little girls and little boys become teenagers. Where does the time go? Sometimes we need to take a breath, and even more importantly, a break from the craziness of the whirlwind called life. Even if it’s only once a month or once every couple of months, families can have a lot of fun by planning a special outing together. Consider these top 10 places to take your kids during their childhood so you can show them the world and make some great family memories.
These activities should be suitable for kids of varying ages, and in most cases, should be enjoyable for both boys and girls. You might even find your children’s cousins or friends might enjoy these same activities and venues, so consider planning group outings as appropriate.
Here are our top 10 places to take your kids as they’re growing up:
1. The Beach – Sand and sea should be a part of every kid’s childhood.
2. The Mountains – Get the best of both worlds by vacationing for a few days on a lake in a mountainous region.
3. An Amusement Park (Or Disney World or a similar vacation if you can afford it!) Kids love this stuff!
4. A Museum – It is important to teach our youths about where we’ve come from as a society, related to culture, history, and more.
5. A Carnival or Fair – These memories live on longer than you might expect – choose one with rides, games, and great carnival snacks like funnel cake.
6. The Circus – The attractions at the circus can even amaze adults! Don’t forget your camera.
7. A Charitable Event – We should all teach our children to be thankful for what we have, and compassionate towards others who may be dealing with more challenges in life.
8. Camping – Outdoorsy fun can be great for the whole family. Make sure you plan enough time to go on a hike, fishing, and to cook over the campfire!
9. A Surprise Party for a Grandparent – These kinds of memories can help shape children’s futures and how they treat others, often by showing extra love and appreciation even when it isn’t always commanded or expected. Also, it’s a great opportunity to make even more memories with all the generations in your family.
10. A Family Reunion – Keep those family bonds strong and don’t get into the habit of seeing those in your extended family only at weddings and funerals. Let the kids enjoy playing with all their cousins, second cousins, and getting to know their aunts, uncles, and everyone else.
Remember, not all the things that you do as a family have to be costly. You can make some of the best memories of all doing things that are very affordable or free. This list is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a nice sample of things that are social, playful, active, and educational. Please share your own favorite places to take your kids in our comments below!