Being apart from your loved one on a regular basis can cause some very trying times. In many cases with long distance relationships, couples often spend more time apart than they do together, even early on in the relationship. Despite the inability to be together, couples can still find special ways to show their love and keep the romance alive in their long distance relationships.
When many miles stretch between you, it can be especially difficult to develop a strong bond or a true sense of commitment with your significant other. The good news is that many long distance relationships do survive and ultimately result in one or both of the parties making a move to be closer to the other person. If you and your partner are both willing to put in the effort to keep your long distance relationship alive and to enhance the romance despite the miles, your relationship will be so much better for it.
Here are some tips to keep the romance alive in your long distance relationship. Take them or leave them – everyone’s relationships are different, so some tips that seem romantic and sweet to one person may seem cheesy to another. Get to know your long distance lover and choose romantic notions that best match up with your relationship.
Tips to Keep the Romance in the Long Distance Relationship Alive
1. Take turns visiting each other as often as your budget permits. One person should not be doing all or even the bulk of the traveling unless there are certain special or extenuating circumstances.
2. Find special ways to let the other person know you are thinking of him or her. Call or leave a voicemail message, send a text message or a picture message, or send an e-mail or an e-card. You can also go a bit old fashioned and send a letter by postal mail.
3. Send a letter through the mail, but first spray it with your favorite fragrance that you wear. This is a great way to bring yourself to the front of your long distance love’s mind. They say scent is the strongest sense tied to memory, so strike up those good, romantic memories with a little spritz of your perfume or cologne.
4. When you visit each other, you can also spritz some perfume or cologne on your significant other’s pillow. This is another special and effective way to keep yourself on your sweetheart’s mind. Just be careful not to spray too much!
5. Send surprises in the mail – cookies, greeting cards, singing telegrams, etc. Who doesn’t love getting good mail? Any day that doesn’t involve a mailbox full of just bills has got to be a better day than it would otherwise. Make some cookies for your loved one or send your sweetheart some candy or another small but special gift.
6. Send cookies to your sweetheart. No matter if you are a guy or girl, you are fully capable of making cookies to send to your partner. Whether homemade or the cookies in the pre-made packages in the refrigerated aisle of your supermarket, it’s the thought that counts!
7. Send photos often. Just like when there is a new puppy, kitten, or baby in the family, take pictures often to send to your loved one. Send general photos of you with your friends, outside in nature, or just relaxing and being yourself. You can also take special photos specifically for your significant other, which really lets him or her know you care.
8. Talk on the phone as often as possible, but don’t be discouraged if you run out of things to say. Sometimes being in a long distance relationship can be as taxing on the mind as it is on the emotions. To get the most out of your phone time, try to share interesting or exciting tidbits from your day and ask your partner to do the same. Talk about your goals, your passions, and things that make you laugh. Don’t be discouraged if your conversation includes a couple of awkward silences – it happens to everyone.
9. Avoid fighting whenever possible. When it comes to being apart in a long distance relationship, couples may face a tough time during times of conflict. If disagreements do arise, try to mitigate them and do your best not to pick a fight on purpose. Being in a long distance relationship naturally adds more stress and anxiety to the equation, so be sensitive and understanding whenever possible.
10. Schedule time to see each other as often as you can, in advance so you both can look forward to it. Holidays and birthdays are a great time to get together with a loved one, especially during a long distance relationship. You might also consider planning a vacation at a half-way point or an interesting destination where you can meet.
As you consider these ideas, remember that they are just suggestions and there are always many more things you can do to help your long distance romance survive. Follow these tips on keeping the romance alive or make up your own. Remember that every relationship has different dynamics than the next or the last, so each couple must find their own way on the road toward each other.
Best wishes in your long distance relationship. We hope you find success in drawing yourselves closer together and in keeping the long distance romance alive!