Fun and flirty or professional and sophisticated, the ponytail is a timeless style appropriate for just about any occasion or event. Ponytails look absolutely adorable when worn by young girls and tots, but they also look chic and classy on mature women.
Beyond the basics of ponytails, dozens of variations and fashionable styles await. Wearing two ponytails – aka: pigtails – is a style that dates way back to our youth. Nowadays, creative hairstylists and inventive product masterminds have developed fancy and interesting alternatives to the previously two-story style.
Here are a few styles to get you started on modernizing and accessorizing your ponytail. Just remember, you are only limited by your creativity!
Style #1: A Simple Yet Elegant Up-do
Meredith Boyd, founder of Mere Cosmetics (http://www.merecosmetics.com/), proposes a modernized up-do sans curls. It is easy to create and looks great for any occasion.
To create Boyd’s style, follow these steps:
1. Blow dry hair straight with a paddle brush and use a quarter-sized dollop of straightening balm like “Redken Straight 05” to prevent curls and frizz while also keeping hair smooth.
2. Part: Make a deep part to one side.
3. Sweep front of hair to one side and secure with a bobby pin if needed.
4. Spray the front of your hair with hairspray to hold.
5. Gather all of your hair back into a mid to low ponytail.
6. Separate a small section of hair from the back of the ponytail and wrap it around the hair band.
7. Wrap the hair around the band a few times with one hand, and with the other hand slip your finger through one loop of the band at the bottom in the back.
8. Tuck the ends of hair through so it’s secure.
9. That’s it! Now spray all over for hold.
“An extra tip is to always use hair bands the same hue as your hair,” Boyd says. “Appropriate for work or an evening out for a formal event!”