A wardrobe that is properly taken care of will last longer. Caring for your clothes can be a simple and easy task. Extend the life of your clothing with a few simple strategies that pay off with big results.
Here are several ways to keep your wardrobe fresher looking.
• Follow the instructions on the care label of every garment.
• Always hand-wash your delicates and pantyhose, even if your washing machine has a hand wash cycle. Using a machine can not provide the gentle treatment that such clothing needs.
• Never over wash your clothing. Too much time in the washer is not a good thing. Use the proper settings.
• Never use too much soap, as it can leave a residue on your clothing and leave it looking dull.
• Use the proper settings on your washer for the type of fabric that is being laundered.
• Never overload your washer. This can damage clothing in irreversible ways. Overloading can produce clothing that has been twisted or stretched out of shape.
• Wash clothing that has been stained as soon as possible. The longer that you allow the stain to set, the more likely it is that you will not be able to remove it.
• Select clothing loads carefully for washing and drying. Wash and dry clothing that is similar in weight for better results. If you wash clothing of varying weights, some will remain in the dryer for longer than it needs to be.
• Remember to wash like colors with like to avoid color transition. If this happens, immediately rinse clothes in cold water.
• Decrease the amount of time that you use the dryer. Certain fabrics are delicate and need less time in the dryer.
• Opt for a short five-minute toss in the dryer to accomplish the fresh scented and softly tossed look. Then, line dry the clothing.
• Always line dry your clothing whenever possible. This puts less strain on your wardrobe and will extend the life of your clothing by quite a bit.
• Use the proper setting on the dryer, especially for delicates such as wool.
• Roll clothing in a dry towel before laying it out flat to dry. This will help to absorb some of the moisture and shorten the drying time. It will also reduce the possibility that the article of clothing inadvertently becomes damaged.
• Keep the dryer lint free to avoid the possibility of overheating that may damage your clothing. This practice will also allow proper air circulation and keep the drying time to a minimum.
Care and Wear
• Rinse your new pantyhose before wearing them.
• Purchase reinforced toe and crotch pantyhose whenever possible.
• Avoid sitting on any surface that may create snags, such as concrete or untreated wood.
• Always keep your nails filed to avoid snagging delicate fabrics.
• Extend the life of a suit by purchasing a second pair of pants.
• Avoid wearing the same pair of shoes every day. Allow them to air out in between uses.
• To prevent underarm stains from perspiration, use cotton shields.
• Stitch tears or holes when they first appear. A stitch in time may save the entire outfit.
• Store delicates such as pantyhose in a plastic bag to avoid snags from the dresser.
• To prevent threadbare spots on key areas, such as knees and elbows, use iron on patches underneath.
• Take a chance and use a colored dye packet to add new life and color to faded jeans.
• Reinforce buttons, snaps, hooks and eyes, Velcro, and pockets with a little stitching before they become loose to avoid losing them.
Remember to keep proper care a priority, the lint out of your dryer, and the freshness and vitality alive in your wardrobe!