Summer weddings offer countless lovely options for wedding colors, flowers, dresses, hairstyles, and more. Depending on the humidity and the weather forecast, brides, bridesmaids, immediate family, and guests may have a lot to consider in choosing their summer wedding hairstyles. Hot and humid days may present a strong argument for a pretty summer up-do. Cooler summer nights and lower humidity days work nicely with up-dos or wedding hair worn down or half up and half down.
No matter if the summer wedding is indoors or outside, you can find a great hairstyle that suits your personality, your dress, and the weather. Consider these summer wedding hairstyle tips from Hair Room Service and Fantastic Sams to help you choose a great style for all your summer weddings.
Wedding Hairstyle Ideas for Brides, Bridesmaids, and Wedding Guests
For the most part, the bride’s hair should stand out from the other members of the bridal party, family, and wedding guests. Unless invited by the bride, leave the fancy wedding hair accessories and summer wedding flowers for the bride alone to wear in her hair. Consider the following tips on wedding hair ‘dos for summer weddings.
Summer Wedding Hairstyle Idea #1: The High Ponytail
It seems the ponytail is more than an all-purpose hairstyle worn out of laziness and convenience. Much to the contrary, the ponytail can be a classy and elegant hairdo or a glamorous style, depending on the details.
“The High Pony Tail is back!” says Pam Kelly, National Director of Technical Services for Fantastic Sams Hair Salons, a chain franchise of full-service, family-oriented salons.
She offers the following tips on achieving a summer wedding-worthy high ponytail:
1. Amp up the volume by shampooing with a volumizing shampoo.
2. Add a few drops of shine serum and blow dry.
3. Lightly tease the top crown of the head to create a subtle pompadour and then brush back all the hair and secure into an elastic band, high at the back of the head.
4. Take a strand of hair from underneath the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic band to hide the band.
5. Secure with a bobby pin.
6. Flatiron the pony tail and you have created a perfect balance between sophistication and a playful look.
7. To add some glitz for the bride, secure a favorite brooch or hair accessory off to one side of the pony tail.
8. TIP: If you prefer a softer look, place the pony tail low and off to one side.
- Curl the pony tail with a large barrel curling iron and wait five minutes for the curls to cool down.
- Then separate the curls with your fingers. DO NOT brush or comb the curls. The purpose for this look is to create soft definition and separation of the curls.
- If you prefer the messy look, lightly tease the separated curls with a comb.
- Follow up with a light finishing spray.
Summer Wedding Hairstyle Idea #2: Loose Chignon
For an especially classy summer wedding look that is great for the bride’s hair or anyone else for that matter, consider a loose chignon hairstyle. Chignons are like loose bun hairstyles where the hair is rolled into a lovely ball shape at the nape of the neck. Consider these tips from Pam Kelly, National Director of Technical Services for Fantastic Sams Hair Salons, to create your own summer wedding loose chignon hairstyle.
1. Pull all the hair back and into a low ponytail at the base of the nape.
2. Secure with an elastic band.
3. Begin to wrap the ponytail’s hair around the base of the ponytail and it will coil into place.
4. Secure with a few bobby pins. Loosen a few strands of the chignon and there you have it!
5. TIP: Chignons are great to wear if you want to show off fancy earrings or a statement necklace!
“If the bride would like something a little bit more pulled together, or a modern classic, the chignon is always a fail safe,” adds Michael Duenas, the founder of Hair Room Service, which is an agency that offers salon services to clients in their hotel rooms, homes, or place of business — a truly great option for brides, the bridal party, and immediate family in out-of-town weddings in the Manhattan area.
Summer Wedding Hairstyle Idea #3: Faux Bob, #4: French Twist, with a Twist …