Are you cool as a cucumber? Not merely is the cucumber known for its ability to cool off the body, it has also been seen to help with jaundice, diarrhea, epilepsy, sore throat, conjunctivitis (redness of the eye) and swelling of extremities.
Many times you should try to deseed the cucumber as the body can have trouble digesting the seeds. You can deseed them yourself easily by cutting them in two and utilizing a spoon to take out the seeds, or if you wish to eliminate this task, it is possible to buy cucumbers that are already deseeded.
Fresh cucumbers are easy to add to salads and for an easy salad, just toss diced cucumbers with sliced red onions, red tomatoes, and your favorite all-natural, low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. It is a fast way to make a refreshing salad that reaps some great benefits of cucumber.
Anti-diabetic Benefits of Cucumber
Beta cells contained in the pancreas produce the hormone insulin. Cucumber is found to possess a hormone necessary for beta cells in the insulin production. Moreover, the Glycemic Index of cucumbers is found to be zero.
Why do cucumbers have no Glycemic index listed? Does this signify they don’t raise blood sugar?
Not at all—it simply means that under the “rules” for the meaning of the Glycemic index, it is too difficult to get an accurate number. This is because you’ll need to eat a very big amount of the food to get 50 grams of carbohydrate at the same time to be tested. Usually, the lower the amount of carbohydrate in a vegetable and the more fiber it has, the less the rise in blood sugar will be.
The carbohydrates are primarily responsible of the raise of the glucose level. However, the carbohydrates contained in the cucumber are easily digestible in a diabetic patient’s stomach.
Tips for Preparing Cucumbers
Unwaxed cucumbers don’t need to be peeled but should be washed before cutting. Cucumbers are usually sliced, diced or cut into sticks.
Just a few Quick Serving Ideas
– Use half-inch thick cucumber slices as petite serving “dishes” for chopped vegetable salads.
– Mix diced cucumbers with sugar snap peas and mint leaves and toss with rice wine vinaigrette.
– For refreshing cold gazpacho soup that takes five minutes or less to make, simply purée cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, and onions, and then add salt and pepper to taste.
– Add diced cucumber to tuna fish or chicken salad recipes.
Cool Cucumber Salad Recipe
– 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
– 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
– 1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
– 1/3 cup minced cilantro
– 1/2 cup rice vinegar
– 2 tsp. honey
– 2 tsp. Reduced-sodium soy sauce
– 1 & 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
– Pinch dried red pepper flakes
Preparation per 8 servings:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Marinating time: 1 hour
1. Combine the cucumbers, carrots, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
2. Combine the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl or glass measuring cup.
3. Pour dressing over cucumbers, cover, and refrigerate for one hour.
Nutritional Values per Serving Size: 1/2 cup – Calories: 25 – Calories From Fat: 10 – Total Fat: 1 gram – Saturated fats: .1 grams – Cholesterol: milligrams – Sodium: 50 milligrams (without added salt) – Total Carbohydrate: 5 grams – Dietary Fiber: 1 gram – Sugars: 3 grams – Protein: 1 grams
About the Expert:
Suzanne Ault gives advice for the diabetes diet recipes blog, her personal hobby weblog focused on cooking ideas to stop type 2 diabetes.