Sometimes it seems that we do the same thing over and over again every year for Mother’s Day, almost to the point that we can’t recall whose turn it is or what we did last year. Rather than getting stuck in a tired rut of the same old dinner out or dinner in, consider these fun ideas of 10 places to take your mom or mother-in-law on Mother’s Day.
Bear in mind that some of these ideas may be better suited for smaller groups while others may be suitable for larger groups. If necessary, you may want to tweak these ideas just a bit to suit your group size. In most cases, you should be able to enjoy these activities with your immediate family or even with both your family and your significant other’s family if you so desire.
Top Mother’s Day Activities
Consider these places you can take your mom or your mother-in-law to celebrate Mother’s Day.
1. Bowling – Have a friendly little bowling competition with mom and the family.
2. Winery Tour – Treat mom to a wine tasting, winery tour, and a bottle of wine or two.
3. Miniature Golf – Spark a little competition in mini golf and treat mom to some ice cream or water ice.
4. Zoo – If younger children are still in the picture (or grandchildren), a trip to the zoo might be the perfect Mother’s Day activity.
5. Flower or Nature Conservatory – Check out some local botanical gardens, butterfly gardens, wildflower preserves, or other nature settings.
6. Melting Pot (or other theme restaurant) – A fun restaurant with a unique twist, like tapas or fondue, can be a super memorable Mother’s Day experience for mom and all those involved. (The Melting Pot also has an amazing Yin-Yang martini cocktail!)
7. Have a Picnic – Take mom and the family to the park for a nice picnic lunch, complete with your and her favorite things – fried chicken, shrimp cocktail, sandwiches, juice, wine, chocolate cake, the works!
8. Visit the Local Shopping Outlets – Take mom out for a fun day of shopping if you have some good shopping outlets near you. Treat her to a gift or two from one of the stores.
9. Spa – Get mom together with the girls in the family and take her out for a spa excursion, or treat her to a massage at the very least. You can also look into manicures and pedicures as a fun Mother’s Day excursion for the girls.
10. Get a Family Portrait – Take Mom to a local portrait studio with the family to get a nice shot of everyone all dressed up. She will absolutely love this great keepsake photo of your family.
If you want a more low-key kind of Mother’s Day, you can invite your mom or mother-in-law over and cook for her and the family. You can also order takeout or go out to a nice restaurant nearby. If your mom or mom-in-law likes movies, you can also plan a movie night where you watch a movie on your own television or one where you all go out to the movies together.
What other ideas do you have for Mother’s Day? What is your favorite Mother’s Day of all time and why? Please share your feedback in our comments below!