Wintertime can be dull, cold, and a season that drones on and on, leaving you wishing for spring and warmer weather. Rather than wish away the coldest season, though, you can make the best of it by throwing a party or planning a special annual event that you and all of your friends or close family members can look forward to time and again. Consider these winter party themes and ideas for winter get-togethers to help you make it through the colder, darker months of the year.
Remember, winter is what you make of it. You and your friends can take turns hosting winter parties or events to get you through what is often a slower season socially. You can plan low key gatherings or grand scale events – the details merely depend on your budget and your inspiration.
Here are some fun winter party themes and ideas for winter gatherings with family and friends.
Winter Party Themes
1. Hawaiian Luau – Defy the cold and plan a party that makes you warm all over. A Hawaiian Luau can be a blast no matter what the weather. Consider grilling your food – the usual barbeque spread or some ham, chicken, and pineapple dishes with rice. Put on a tropical soundtrack and enjoy thoughts of warmer days.
2. Wine Party or Wine Tour – Visiting wineries in the winter can be a lovely experience with sprawling vistas of vineyards covered in snow and a fine selection of wines to taste to your heart’s content. Planning a wine tour is a fairly big undertaking, but you can also enjoy a simple wine tasting party at home. Choose a selection of wines and complementary meal items or courses to go with each bottle.
3. Mardi Gras Party – No winter season is complete without a Mardi Gras party! Be sure to decorate in the Carnival colors – green, gold, and purple, and don’t forget to make or order your own king cake. Give out Mardi Gras beads to your guests, consider having a few party games, and be sure to put on some fun music to keep your party going.
4. Snowy Celebration – Get your friends together for an impromptu party the next time it snows enough to have some fun. Plan an all-out snowball battle, go sledding or skiing / snowboarding, and enjoy hot chocolate (with your favorite flavors added, of course).
5. Red Carpet Party – Invite your friends and family over to get all dolled up for an evening of hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, champagne, and photos. Make or order a fun backdrop for your photos and take pictures of all your guests as they arrive. Match up your event with one of the popular Hollywood awards shows, like the People’s Choice Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, Grammy Awards, or Academy Awards (The Oscars). Give a prize for the best dressed, best celebrity look-alike, etc.
Reasons to Celebrate or Get Together in the Winter
In addition to throwing your own winter party, here are some other reasons to get together with your family and friends this winter season.
1. Christmas Parties
2. New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day Parties
3. Groundhog’s Day
4. Super Bowl Parties
5. Hockey Party
6. Mardi Gras
7. Valentine’s Day (or Anti-Valentine’s Day)
8. St. Patrick’s Day
9. March Madness Parties
10. First Day of Spring (take that, winter)
11. People’s Choice Awards
12. Golden Globe Awards
13. Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards
14. Grammy Awards
15. Academy Awards (The Oscars)
These are just a few suggestions for party themes and events you can enjoy in the winter. Please share any other ideas or party theme suggestions you may have in our comments below!